Monday, May 27, 2013

Memorial Day Tribute

It's crazy how we can get caught up in the shuffle of daily life and just like that, the years have flown by. This afternoon, as I read the Facebook and Twitter updates of people thanking their troops, I couldn't help but think of my own family and friends who have fought for our freedom.

It has been almost 3 1/2 years since the day my brother returned from his 12 month tour in Iraq. The longest 12 months I can ever remember. I think about how fortunate we were to be able to communicate, almost daily, thanks to the wonderful world wide web. I often stop and think about how families did it during times of war before the internet...I always say I could never do it, it would be too hard not knowing if they are safe...alive...I just cannot imagine. The strength you must need to trust that everything will be ok is something I cannot fathom.

I remember the day like it was yesterday. I was riding my bike to school one morning, my head in a cloud because my Aunt Sue - my other mother - was admitted into the hospital the night before for some pretty serious health issues. All I wanted was to be home with her, not in La Crosse finishing up with finals and my undergraduate career. All I could think about was her, hoping she would get better soon and that her daughter, my best friend and cousin's wedding was only about a week and a half away.

My phone was in my front pocket that morning, because it was easy to reach while pedaling, just in case there was more news about Sue. My phone rang, but it wasn't Sue, it was Brian. He only had just a minute, but just wanted to say he was officially leaving (he had been in Texas as the first part of his tour). I will never fully be able to describe that feeling - I just sat at the stop sign wondering what to do next. The world seemed to continue on while I couldn't seem to move. Somehow I made it to campus that day but not for very long...my heart and my head needed to be at home - or the hospital rather - with family.

The days, weeks and months that B was gone were hard. Many a night my sister and I would call each other when the tears just wouldn't go away - somehow we were always able to calm the other down, pretty much laughing at each other by the end.

The last weeks before he came home were the WORST! He was somewhere in Kuwait, just waiting....he said he would watch other groups come in and leave, while his group still sat and waited. We finally got word that his plane would be coming in to Volk Field - I think it was supposed to be Saturday...then it was Sunday...and finally, the official Monday, January 18th 2010 - MLK Day, at around 5am. The night before, a much healthier version of my Aunt Sue (yay!) and cousin Hanna, stayed up making, in our opinion, the BEST signs. Laughing and sharing memories of B and talking about how much we just couldn't wait to see him!

I'm pretty sure I didn't sleep a wink that night. We left the house at about 3am to make sure we were there when the plane landed - apparently for security reasons they really can't say exactly when they would arrive. It was a cold, January morning, but the best January morning! When we saw that plane in the distance, the screams and cheers from family and friends was deafening and yet, extremely calming. He was finally home!

Hanna showcasing one of the signs


Aunt Sue Sue


So proud of my little brother - who teaches me every day to not take life too seriously



 Not the greatest family photo - but we were happy all the same :o)


So happy Memorial Day to all those who serve and have served our country - and to the families who love and support their soldiers!!! Especially to you, B. I am so proud of the person you are today - a loving brother, son, uncle, boyfriend and now Daddy. :o)

Now I'm off to my first French class of the summer! I'm nervous and excited all at the same time! 

Ciao!

No comments:

Post a Comment