Friday, December 20, 2013

Made Especially for You by Gramma Schroeder

My dear sweet Gramma passed away on Monday. It was a blessing in disguise. She is no longer hurting and finally reunited with my Grandpa. I got to spend so much time with her while I was home. I was able to accept the inevitable and soak up her love. But no matter how prepared you are for something like this, it's still a difficult feeling. Adding in the thousands of miles between home and where I am, and the pain is a little worse. So naturally, I've spent the last few days looking at pictures, reflecting on good memories of her with Tonico, and wrapping myself in her handiwork.


One year for Christmas, many many years ago, all the Schroeder Grandchildren gathered around the Christmas tree at "Big Schroeder Christmas" in the Wilton Legion Hall. Grandpa played Santa and passed out to each one of us a box. In side that box was a blanket, each one just a little bit different, but that blanket was "made especially for me by Gramma Schroeder". I certainly cannot speak for everyone, but my 'Gramma blanket' as it soon became referred to, was carried around like another piece of clothing. (Though never as much as my sweet cousin Hanna - her 'snuggie' was GLUED to her!) Sometime in high school, I had the sad realization that my Gramma blanket was not going to last forever. Holes were beginning to form simply from natural wear and the pattern was almost completely faded out. Sadly, one day, I folded it up, placed it in a bag and put it in the trunk below my window seat. Having to be without that blanket was tough, but somehow I moved on :o) College graduation day arrived, along with another special moment. Gramma had made me another blanket! I could not have been more surprised or thankful for such a thoughtful gift! I have tried to be much more careful with this blanket, but it's almost impossible not to wrap myself in it every time Tonico and I sit down to watch a movie or read a book. This week was absolutely no exception. This blanket means more to me than almost any other possession - now more than ever. 

To all of you who have sent love, support, kind words, prayers and thoughts my way - I cannot thank you enough! You are the reason I have been able to move past the sadness and in to acceptance. May you find peace and comfort this holiday season as you spend time with your loved ones!

Tonico and I wish you all the best this holiday season! We are jetting to Florence, Italy next week to spend our first Christmas, just the two of us! After this emotional year, it is sure to be just what we need to recharge our batteries for 2014! 

2 comments:

  1. Crying, at work... love this! Love you! xoxoxo Have fun in Florence and if you feel compelled to buy a summer home there, I will gladly vacation there with you :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love you Lauren! My thoughts are with you and enjoy your trip to Italy!! Merry Christmas.

    ReplyDelete