Tuesday, March 26, 2013

Reality is Setting In

It's hard to believe that since my last post, Tonico has been back to Minnesota and is already in Brussels! Sounds like he had a really good time seeing friends and family while he was home (I'm going to have to get him on here so he can share some of his thoughts - for now, I'll just relay what I've heard). There is never enough time to see everyone and do everything you want before you leave - but I know it meant a lot to see lots of people there to send their love and support! :o)

It was a quick turn around for him - the day after the party he headed to the airport! He arrived Monday morning with enough time to drop his stuff off at our temporary apartment, take a shower and head right on in to work. Now that is dedication! The office was doing some team building on Monday and thought Tonico could really benefit from that - getting to know his coworkers and learning how they work as a team will be essential to his success with this new position. Sounds like he got lots of sleep last night and is ready to tackle another day!

Meanwhile, back in North Carolina, things are starting to get real. I had to say my first goodbye to a dear friend of mine from Wingate University. Jessica Hylton is the Director of Counseling at Wingate and it wasn't until the end of my year there that we really began to bond. She had found the love of her life and was getting ready to say "I do". As she began to plan her wedding, we ended up sharing thoughts and emotions over what roles our friends and family would/did play in the big day. Jessica opened her door to me and from then on, we had this special connection - we just understood where the other was coming from. I was so honored that she invited me to spend the day with her and her (now) husband Derek. It was BEAUTIFUL! The day began very gloomy, rainy, and c-o-l-d. As I began driving toward Asheville, in the mountains, I thought for sure it was just going to get colder. But, as I looked down at the dashboard, I watched as the temperature continued to climb. By the time the wedding started, the clouds had opened up and the sun was shining just like I imagined it would! It was such a picturesque ceremony, so intimate and personal. It was very hard to say goodbye but I know our friendship will remain - and Jess, you know it's a great vacation location!!!


The once Bride-to-Be at her beautiful shower (wish I would have gotten a good one at the wedding!)

As I drove home that night from the wedding, I realized how quickly this is happening. While it may not have completely hit me yet, the realization that I have to leave my friends is quickly sinking in as I make plans for 'one last dinner together'. Who could have known how quickly such strong friendships could develop? I am forever thankful for them.

Tonight I head up to Huntersville for the 3rd night in a row to stay with our good friends Jen & Matt DeGrave. From the day I met them, I knew we would be good friends. After knowing them for less than a month, they graciously opened their home to Chucho while Tonico and I spent 2 weeks getting married and honeymooning! Now they have opened their home to me - donating their spare bedroom to my back which just could not spend another night on the air mattress!

My Aunt Pat (who I know will be reading this) gives me a hard time (in a loving way!) about the fact that we moved all the way to Charlotte and are "only friends with people from WI". While we certainly did not plan it that way, it is true that many (not all) of our friends are from the Midwest! I guess that is part of why we connected so well. We will miss everyone in North Carolina so much - but it is also very comforting to know that we will likely meet again :o)


Hiking trip to Stone Mountain with Dogs and Friends!

No comments:

Post a Comment